Monday, November 10, 2008

White Ponies and Unicorns

My 8 year old daughter and her BFF had a sleepover on Saturday. Its awesome because they are so stinking cute and spend a lot of time together and get along so well. This little girl did spend the night one other time and my daughter has spent a few nights at her house, so I didn't give it a second thought that this may not be an easy night. 3:24 am I get a knock on my bedroom door, its BFF, crying hysterically, she misses her mom, it was that type of crying that she couldn't breathe, she was just sobbing. This is very out of character for this girl as she is normally so happy and outgoing.
Hmmmm......
So I took her into the kitchen and we both got a glass of water so we could sit down and discuss this. I really really really didn't want to be driving her home at this hour. I had slept off my wine buzz from earlier, but I was just wanting to sleep.
Did you girls have a fight? no.
Are you scared? a little
Do you feel sick? no, I just want my mommy.
After much discussion I finally concluded that I must take her home, so I told her to gather her belongings and then we'd call her parents to tell them we were on our way. As she started gathering her things, she looked at me and said, "I really do want to stay". So here's how it went down: The 2 girls laid on the trundle bed and I laid on my daughters bed next to them and held BFFs hand.........every few minutes she'd say to my daughter, "I can't sleep" and my daughter would awaken and offer some great piece of advice like, "just close your eyes and try" or my favorite, "just lay here and think about white ponies and unicorns, thats what I do". I have to admit, I giggled out loud at that one. Anyway, I guess we all dozed off because I woke up at 6:15, still holding her hand and snuck back in my room so I could hopefully fall back asleep to dream about hot mysterious vampires white ponies and unicorns.

2 comments:

Boy Mom said...

Love it! Sleep overs are the greatest. Adorable Hubby just loves it when some strange little boy needs a cuddle in the middle of the night. Seems he thinks he is the only boy who should need a...cuddle in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the post! Love your humor.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those white ponies and unicorns. :) They work every time. And at that age, you know they are totally legit and not at all Fantasia inspired....